Many types of floss are available. Your hygiene kit from bc dental contains a premium unwaxed, dental floss. Although this is the most effective floss to use, some patients may find ribbon floss or waxed floss easier to use.
- Before brushing your teeth, measure an arm’s length of floss, approximately 18 inches, and wind each end around your middle fingers. Grasp 1-2 inches of the floss with your index (pointer) finger and thumb.
- Gently glide the floss in between the teeth in a sawing motion until it reaches the bottom your gum. Angle the floss so it hugs the tooth in a 'c' shape. Gently slide the floss up and down (not side to side) the surface of the tooth making sure it goes slightly below the gum line. When complete, angle the floss to hug the tooth in the opposite direction, and repeat this step.
- Continue flossing all the upper and lower teeth. Try working in a clockwise direction, beginning with your upper molars on your left side and then ending with your lower molars on your left side.
- As you move on to each new tooth, unwind the floss from your fingers, and rewind it so there is a clean section of floss to use or simply wipe the floss with a finger.
- When you have finished flossing, rinse with water or salt water. Try to floss before or after every brushing. If you do not have time for flossing in the morning, always floss in the evening before or after your final brush of the day.